Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wonderful World

I’m finally starting to feel like myself again.  I’m not close to being completely healed from my illness I've had for the past couple weeks; but now I can walk across campus without feeling like collapsing.  I’m happy about life again whereas I was ornery when I was sick.  I reread some of my earlier posts and realized they were full of so much complaining!  “Sick Kate” was being an ornery brat.  I’m still coughing (powerful coughs that rock my entire body).  The other night I coughed so much I concerned one of the Egyptian Freshman who lives in one of the rooms near mine. 

Yesterday, I went with my friend, Candy, to the City Stars mall.  The mall has SEVEN or eight stories!  I’ve never been in such a large mall!  I was lost almost the entire time.  One would have to spend an entire day, possibly two, to just see every store.  While we were there I bought a cup and bowl at an Egyptian equivalent of Walmart.  I also finally found a cheap phone ($30), but I could not activate it (SIM card) because I had forgotten my passport.  We also checked out a bookstore and an entertainment store.  Newly released CDs sold in Egypt are about four dollars!  I plan to go back at some point and buy a bunch to take home to share with everyone.  Most of the stores were closed while we were there (again, for Ramadan), but reopened around 8:30.  When Iftar began the loudspeakers throughout the entire mail began playing the evening prayer. Everyone was already rushing toward the food court and the closest restaurants.  By the time we made it anywhere near food, it was crowded.  Candy and I ended up sitting on the floor and eating our meal of "Chinese Food."  When we were halfway finished, a kind Egyptian man walked over with chairs from his kiosk.  I was content to sit on the floor with the rest of the Egyptians breaking their fast!

I experienced more of the Egypt I imagined—a little less westernized.  Rehab City is an entirely “rich” area.  They even have a guarded gate for entering and exiting that part of the city.  The area where City Stars was built, however, is busier, dirtier, more poverty, etc.  There is a different mix surrounding City Stars: a range from rich people going in the mall to shop, but on the other end small children running around begging for guinea (the term for the money, like our “dollar”).  I saw a kid chase down another kid about the same age walking out of the mall. Kid One chased Kid Two to try to take the bag out of his hand.  Kid One finally caught Kid Two after chasing him around a car in the busy street.  He held on tightly while the other kid walked awkwardly laughing a little.  A policeman became involved and chased Kid One away.  Not long after, I saw Kid One and his sidekick (another kid who had been running around begging as well) run into the road without looking.  They both were almost hit but dodged the heavy traffic in the four-lane highway. 

Today was another day of classes.  I am really starting to get excited about this semester.  I’m loving all my classes, even the one I wasn’t too keen about taking:  Communication Research.  The professor seems interesting, so at least I will not fall asleep in class!  Not that I would ever do something like that anyway… ha.  In Understanding Arab Music, we played Tabla and were introduced to a few rhythms we will work with during the semester.  We also were given a song we will sing in the final performance.  I’m so excited to sing Arabic music!!!  Whenever I listen to my Arabic music, I always want to sing along, but I’ve afraid I would butcher the beautiful language if I tried.  Now is my chance to know I’ve got the words right! 

I only have one complaint for my classes: my Arabic class seems too simple and not fast-paced enough.  I was hoping to have simple conversations in Arabic by the time I finished the semester; but at this rate we will only know some vocabulary and how to read.  However, this is better than nothing, so I will be happy with it.

And now begins the Eid el Fitr holiday!  Ramadan Kareem!  Happy Eid el Fitr!

Last note: I will be creating a Picasa account for my photography class and I will include a link on the side.   I may create another account for my “for fun” photos.  That is, whatever I don’t include in my portfolio for the class.

1 comments:

TareX said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment