Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Onions – a Love/Hate Relationship

I can’t seem to escape the smell of onions anymore.  Last week I went to a friend’s apartment and we cooked a delicious dinner of “Butter Chicken” and some form of Indian rice.  I was given the duty of chopping up the onions which seem to be very strong here.  The skin is a little more tough and the juices will kill your eyes!  My hands smelled of onion for a week after.  I have finally rid myself of the lingering smell of old onion!  But it came back—I had a sandwich from Subway today with…onion.  I am stuck with onion for the rest of the week!

 

Today, I signed up for a trip to "St. Anthony and Ein Sokhna" which cost 325 LE (which is about $65).  The trip is the weekend after this coming weekend, but I want to do something this weekend...even if it's only exploring "downtown" especially Zamalek and Islamic Cairo...they seem to have interesting destinations and things to see.  There are 5 other trips I'm thinking about going on that the school is hosting.  The next trip is to St. Catherine and Nuweiba, then Wadi El Rayan, next Isma 'ilia, and another is a trip to the Black and White Desert which I will definitely go on (to celebrate my birthday).  The last trip is to Fayoum.  The most expensive trip, I think, will be the one I just signed up for.  However, there are a couple that did not list a price.

 

We have cleaning service (housekeeping, maids, whatever you want to call it) and we're required to let them clean our rooms once a week.  Today a lady tried to figure out when would be a good time to come and clean my room...she spoke very little English and I speak very little Arabic so it was difficult!  If only I knew the word for "clean" and "tomorrow"  Although, I should know the word for tomorrow!

I almost know the entire Arabic alphabet...with a little help from my notes every once in a while.

 

I am loving all my classes and it seems my semester is going to be very easy compared to any other semester during my college years.  Perhaps it is the great contrast between last Spring Semester which makes me feel this semester is going to be so easy.  Last semester I had many all-nighters, little sleep and more homework than two people could handle.

 

My favorite class is “Understanding Arabic Music” wherein we are learning to sing a few Arabic songs.  Right now we are learning El 3ataba Gazaz, which seems to be a love song of sorts.  A girl thinks she is in love, but her cousin is telling her “you’re not getting married, be patient!”  The chorus is translated to “the front step is glass, ad the stairs are nylon in nylon.”  I am befuddled.

 

I finally have a local phone number as well as a mailing address.  It took me two weeks to try to get an operating phone, but it was Ramadan.  I found it difficult to find the right time to go to a store that fit my schedule as well as the Ramadan schedule.  I am so glad we are back to the normal time and normal schedules!  This will definitely make life a little easier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment